Japan Destinations and Attractions
Explore all that Japan has to offer!
Whatever your style, you'll be surprised at just what you can find in Japan! Whether you end up taking photos of a reproduction Eiffel Tower, surfing an indoor wave, relaxing in a Zen temple, shacking up in a love hotel or sleeping in a capsule, it's all here.
While the Japanese may appear rather formal upon first acquaintance you will soon find out that over a few drinks and some karaoke things will quickly loosen up and the formalities will disappear. The technology is amazing, shopping malls huge and if regional areas are more your thing, don't despair as there are always plenty of rural festivals happening around the country.
Things not to be missed:
- View the iconic Mt Fuji first hand, Japan's highest mountain standing at 3776m high.
- Wander around the most visited Buddhist temple in Tokyo, Seso-ji.
- Rise early and experience the hustle and bustle of the famous Tsukiji Market in Tokyo.
- Be amazed by world's largest collection of Japanese art at the impressive Tokyo National Museum.
- Celebrate with the crowds at a Hanami (cherry blossom viewing) festival.
- Visit the World Heritage Site, Tosho-gu in Nikko and be amazed by the beautifully decorated Shinto shrine set amongst a stunning natural setting.
- Explore some of Japan's beautiful original surviving castles, Matsuyama-j? and the World Heritage listed Himeji-jo.
- Head to Osaka's Dotonbori district and try a range of delicious Japanese street food.
- Share the streets of Nara with thousands of friendly deer.
- Try and spot an elusive Gisha in Kyoto's Gion district.
- Be amazed by the beautifully constructed and impeccably manicured gardens that are dotted throughout the country.
- Go back in time in Iriomote-jima island, a jungle covered island that could well qualify as Japan's last frontier.
Types of Japan Rail Passes available
There are a range of passes available to suit all travel styles. From countrywide passes that allow you to explore the majority of the country to area and district specific passes that include bus and ferry journeys.
Japan Rail Pass
For those travelling to Japan, a Japan Rail Pass is a fantastic asset. Not only is a JR Pass one of the most convenient ways to explore this beautiful, diverse country, it is also incredible value for money.
From the popular cities of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe to the beautiful regional areas such as Nagano, Chubu, Kansai and Fuji Five Lakes, with the JR Pass you can visit all the major destinations as well as the hidden gems.
JR East Pass - Nagano, Niigata Area
Unlimited travel with the JR East Pass - Nagano, Niigata Areaon JR trains in the Greater Tokyo area, in Nagano and Niigata prefectures and in the Shonai Region of Yamagata Prefecture.
JR East Pass - Tohoku Area
Explore natural attractions and historical World Heritage Sites on the JR East - Tohoku Area Pass.
The area that is covered by the JR East - Tohoku Area Pass will allow you to discover the abundance of natural beauty and quality hot springs that the region is famous for, plus you will be able to explore the numerous national treasures and historical World Heritage Sites.
JR Hokkaido Pass
Explore Hokkaido on the JR Hokkaido Pass, the northernmost of Japan's main islands, known for its volcanoes, natural hot springs and impressive ski areas.
JR Kyushu Rail Pass
The perfect pass for exploring the fascinating island of Kyushu, the most southwestern of Japan's main islands.
The JR Kyushu Rail Pass is valid for travel to Fukuoka, Beppu, Mt. Aso, Kumamoto, Miyazaki, Saga, Kagoshima, Nagasaki, Oita and other tourist destinations in the area.
JR Kansai Wide Area Rail Pass
Explore the region known for its incredible number of temples, shrines, and gardens.
The JR Kansai Wide Area Pass connects the Kansai Area (Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe) to Kansai-airport, Shiga, Tsugura, the Okayama Area, the Nankai Area, Kinosaki-Onsen and Shingu.
JR All Shikoku Rail Pass
Enjoy 1,100km of rail travel and discover Shikoku, Japan's fourth largest island with the JR All Shikoku Pass.
Should you buy a Japan Rail Pass or book point to point train tickets?
Are you planning a trip to Japan and wondering whether the Japan Rail Pass is really worth it?
Check out our handy comparison guide to the Japan Rail Pass vs Point to Point Train Tickets and find out how much you can really save with a JR pass.